Sunday, August 23, 2026

Mount Flora, Breckinridge Peak, and Colorado Mines Peak

Mount Flora from Breckinridge Peak
This is an area I like to come back to from time to time given the variety of peaks and trails. I first hiked Colorado Mines Peak in January 2013, then Mount Flora in July 2013. I came back to the area a few more times, hiking Mount Flora in October 2014, then Mount Flora and Colorado Mines Peak in January 2019. An advantage of the Berthoud Pass trailhead is the ability to access these peaks in all seasons. Fall, winter, and spring hikes are usually manageable but there may be windy and freezing conditions in those seasons that can present challenges. Lucky for us, this hike was the best weather I’ve had up here with clear morning skies and light winds.

To access Berthoud Pass from the Denver area, head up I-70W taking exit 232 onto US-40W, follow this to Berthoud Pass where there is a large parking area. In addition to the trips I previously mentioned, this trailhead is also great for access to Stanley Mountain with the route starting from the west side of the road. This is part of the Continental Divide Trail (CDT), and is a popular trailhead in all seasons, so expect a lot of activity. The parking area is quite large, where there is a warming hut on the north end. The hut has pit toilets available to those that drank too much coffee on the drive up.

Drive time to the trailhead from Denver takes about an hour. We left around 5 a.m. so we could get an early start to the hike in hopes of avoiding any afternoon showers. We arrived a bit after 6 a.m., and there were about a dozen vehicles at the lot already.

The hike begins from the south end of the parking area. There is a large gate blocking an access road heading up to the top of Colorado Mines Peak where there are several structures. Follow the access road for a little less than a mile on the corner of the fourth switchback. On my GAIA route I have a point labeled CDT Split. A single-track trail starts from here and there is a sign for Mount Flora and other destinations. This trail traverses around the north of Colorado Mines Peak.

Nick on Breckinridge Peak
Other options are to continue up the access road to Colorado Mines Peak. A few more switchbacks will get you to the summit. This is the way I descended for this trip. Following my path, take the single-track trail, which will crest on the Continental Divide at about 1.6 miles from the trailhead. This is about the mid-point to the summit of Mount Flora.

My goal today was to summit Mount Flora by 8 a.m., which I’m happy to report that I was able to do. The trail is easy to follow where the crest of the ridge transitions from a dirt-based trail to broken rock. I want to note that I was comfortable with trail runners for the entirety of the trip, so boots are likely unnecessary, unless that is your preference.

Since we started so early, we were hiking directly into the sun. This was a minor disadvantage. The early start was definitely worth the cool morning and limited trail traffic. The summit area itself spans a fairly large flat area. There are many wind blocks and good places to rest. I feel like the summit cairn has changed over the years, so hitting one of the larger wind blocks was the summit for us. There were already quite a few people on the summit when we arrived, so be prepared for an active summit. If you are looking for solitude, this is not the place to go.

From the summit, it’s really choose your own adventure. It’s a great accomplishment to reach the summit of a Colorado 13er, so this could be the pinnacle of your day. Other options are to head north along the ridge to connect to Eva, Parry, Bancroft and more. Or you can choose our path which took us to Breckinridge Peak.

If your path takes you to Breckinridge, stay on the CDT dropping about 400 vertical feet where the terrain starts to level out a bit. My GAIA track has a point location where I deviated from the CDT towards the summit of Breckinridge. You will see a rock formation to head to across the tundra. This is the extent of the class 2 rating for this hike. It’s hard to tell exactly where the summit is so we walked the expanse to the east where there was a small rock cairn.

Square Top to Torrey's Peak
The views here give you a great shot of Witter Peak to the north, showing its rugged south face. There is a great loop I did years ago connecting Witter-Eva-Parry-Bancroft which I highly recommend. If you are seeking a solo summit, you will likely find that on Breckinridge, and some of these other peaks to the north. From Breckinridge’s summit, heading back is a simple yo-yo, or trace your path back.

As we were making our way back, I was feeling good, so I decided to tack on Colorado Mines Peak. On my GAIA track there is point marked Flora-CO Mines Intersect. Here there is trail that traverses over to the access road heading to the summit of Colorado Mines Peak. This adds about 230 feet of elevation gain to the route. There is a lot of structure on the summit, so more of a place to go to check a peak off your list. From the summit of Colorado Mines Peak, follow the access road back to the parking area.

This is a great area to go if you’re looking for easy access and multiple options. The area is busy, but the further you adventure from Mount Flora, the more peace you may find. It was another great day in the mountains. A great option if you are getting into hiking Colorado peaks, or for me, a great option to get back into something I love to do.

Hike Date: August 22, 2026Starting Elevation: 11,318 feet
Mount Flora Elevation: 13,124 feet
Breckinridge Peak Elevation: 12,864 feet
Colorado Mines Peak Elevation: 12,392 feet
Total Ascent: 2,319 feet
Class: 2
Total Distance: 8.89 miles
Total Time: 4 hours, 58 minutes
Moving Time: 4 hours, 11 minutes
Stopped Time: 47 minutes
Climbing Partner: Brian
GAIA Link: Flora-Breckinridge-Colorado Mines
*All data is tracked using the GAIA app

No comments:

Post a Comment